Sunday, March 22, 2015

Heights Doom

My fear is straightforward.  I fear falling.

My legs go weak and shaky, my breathing quickens, and my heart pounds.  I turned into a shaking pile of goo when I tried to put a single foot on the glass floor of the CN Tower.  No can do.  I have to hand it to those kids who sprawl all over the glass floor and lick it as they look down.  Yep, I saw one lick it.  Hey, he was a kid, what does he know, right?

I can't so much as walk next to a railing (especially a glass one) on a second floor without having to hug the inner wall.  I think I've mastered the art of hugging the wall discreetly.  Maybe.

Oh and those freakin' exposed tread stairs where you can see right through them as you make your way up!  Who invented those....Satan?

What about feeling that fear so much that it becomes a sort of compulsion or obsessive thought that becomes a tension that needs to be resolved?  You start feeling that falling or dropping what you're holding is inevitable ramping up the fear even more.

Then what do you do?

Avoidance is my strategy and it's worked pretty well so far.

As for the things that can't be helped?  Well, you can always fake a sports injury and take the elevator.

Oh, glass elevators...fuck...this world is out to get me.


No comments:

Post a Comment